WHEFA is an advocate, educator and resource for all nonprofits in the Badger State. The staff assists all Wisconsin nonprofit institutions in a variety of different ways, which may include:
- Providing a Federal tax-exemption on all eligible financings and a State tax-exemption on certain financings.
- Providing front-end financing assistance when borrowers are deciding among financing alternatives.
- Imparting the knowledge and experiences from one transaction to another.
- Expediting the financing process.
- Having the ability to issue one series of bonds for multiple locations (including other states).
- Providing educational assistance through newsletters and conferences.
- Offering assistance in the determination of eligibility for tax-exempt financing.
- Advocating at both the federal and state level for the continuation and improvement of the tax-exempt financing process.
- Maintaining professional competence through membership in the National Association of Health & Educational Facilities Finance Authorities (NAHEFFA).
During its fiscal year ending June 30, 2021, WHEFA successfully completed 9 financings totaling over $635 million. Sixty-seven percent of the bonds issued were used to refinance outstanding debt, thus substantially reducing debt service costs. Two borrowers used WHEFA for the first time. As of June, 30, 2021, WHEFA has participated in 914 financings in excess of $30 billion over its 42-year history.