WHEFA staff assists all Wisconsin non-profit institutions in a variety of different ways, which may include:
- Providing front-end financing assistance when borrowers are deciding among financing alternatives.
- Imparting the knowledge and experiences from one transaction to another.
- Expediting the financing process.
- Having the ability to issue one series of bonds for multiple locations (including other states).
- Providing educational assistance through newsletters and conferences.
- Offering assistance in the determination of eligibility for tax-exempt financing.
- Advocating for the continuation and improvement of the tax-exempt financing process.
- Maintaining professional competence through membership in the National Association of Health & Educational Facilities Finance Authorities (NAHEFFA).
During its fiscal year ending June 30, 2017, WHEFA successfully completed 26 issues totaling over $1.3 billion. Forty percent of the bonds issued were used to refinance outstanding debt, thus substantially reducing debt service costs. Four borrowers used WHEFA for the first time. As of June 30, 2017, WHEFA has participated in 839 bond issues in excess of $25 billion over its 38 year history.